Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Summer Vacation

I had a busy summer! I learned how to do genealogy for the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution), took an online course about sharing great works of art in the classroom
, and took a few college-visit trips with my daughter, Aurora. I also visited my family in New Mexico---while there, we--2 of my children, and my sister--hiked around White Sands National Monument.
That's me, in the middle of the sands. It looks like snow, but it's pure white gypsum. This was really a unique experience: it was still and quiet, just like it is here in Brooklyn after a new-fallen snow...only 90 degrees!

Back home this past weekend, my husband and I attended the commemoration of the Battle of Brooklyn (1776) held nearby at Greenwood Cemetery---this battle was the 1st one that we fought as a new nation, having just declared our independence from Britain the month before. We didn't win this one, but George Washington and 10,000 American troops managed to escape to Manhattan thanks to the heroic fighting of an American regiment from Maryland, the Maryland 400. They pretty much sacrificed their lives so our guys could regroup to fight another day. And we all know what happened then!
There were re-enactors at the Commemoration, so that's me with the Scots!

What did you do on your summer vacation? Send pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment